Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine

If you know me you know how I feel about today. And if you don't then you should know I personally don't really care for it. When I was single people would tell me I was just bitter that I wasn't in a relationship but I would never be able to get across to them that that's not it at all.

I love love. I love the idea of love and how it makes us do really incredible things that no sane person would do otherwise. We learn to give more than we thought possible and to self sacrifice for the betterment of someone we love. We learn to be selfless, and kinder. Love in its best reincarnation is rather awe inspiring.

What I don't love (no pun intended) is that I am told on a specific day that I have to feel love and show love. I guess I don't like Valentine's Day because I feel like it's somewhat of an act and that you are forced to perform. I feel like it kind of negates any other act of love that you do throughout the year because this is the penultimate day for love. And if I don't show you love today then the love I do show you throughout the year is rather small. I don't like the competition it turns love into. I don't think love should be flashy and about what I have to do for you (you remember the self sacrificing part right?). It's love because I choose to do so. I choose to declare and do silly little fun things for you. I give you a shoulder to cry on, and a hand to hold. I'm present because every fiber of my being wants it to be so. I don't think love should be an expectation waiting to be met but a surprise gift freely given.

And now I'm going to contradict myself, wholly. I know that when I have kids (nope, not yet) I will probably make a big deal out of this holiday and I don't know why I think it will change. I do know I want to make every holiday a big deal and very magical. And I want to do that because as an adult the magic has kind of gone out of it. It's very different when you're setting up the surprises and buying the gifts, etc.

I know not everyone shares my views about Valentine's Day and if you love Valentine's Day then Happy Valentine's Day. I'm the one in green.

2 comments:

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

i always feel mixed about today. i'm on my way to get a V Day card for my husband because i know he will have one and i really don't want to suck it up in the wife department. but, it's a lot of pressure to make a big show on just one day of the year!

Melissa said...

There are parts about this holiday that I don't care for either, like the flowers, chocolates, candies, presents, etc. Instead I use this holiday to remember not to take those I love for granted. Yes, I know I should never take them for granted in the first place, but I'm human. Valentine's day is just a day to remember how much you appreciate those you love.