Monday, March 7, 2011

Finished

OMG. It's done and it's gorgeous. See below.



All hand crafted by my father in law who is a genius with wood. Still kinda reeling at how crazy wonderful it is.

This weekend I went down to see Jili and hang out with her because it's been too long. We had a really great girls (ladies? women? all girls to me) brunch and time passed too quickly, that's how fun it was. I was actually shocked when I saw it was past two. There was such lively debate and sharing of ideas, we need to do this more often.

And later? Jilian and I went on the yarn crawl. Yes I know, this is too obvious, we always go yarn shopping. I'd never been to Dublin Bay so Jilian and I went. I looked around a little bit and stated "I don't see anything I like yet." Jilian looked at me like I was crazy and told me "Look harder". And dudes, I found it. I've been wanting to make this:




Pictures are from the Twist collective website.

But I fell in love with the color and texture of the yarn used in the sample for the pattern. This only became an issue when I tried to find the yarn, and holy crap, it was no where. The yarn is Lorna's Laces shepherd worsted in the color echo. It was originally made in the green line but that has since gone defunct, but even finding it in the regular worsted is hard enough. But they had it. And the kicker? They had exactly enough to make it +1 skein. Bought them all. And because of the yarn crawl it was 10% off. Not only did I not have to buy different dye lots when a few possibly became available online but I also didn't have to pay tax (why I love Portland) shipping or handling. I was so happy I wanted to sit down in the store and start on it even before it was wound into balls.

The moral of the story? When Jilian tells you you aren't looking hard enough? Dude, she's right. Look harder. :)

6 comments:

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

wow, that is just bea-ti-mous. your FIL really has some mad skill.

also, if there is ever a time when we are less than hundreds of miles from each other, would you consider teaching me how to knit or crochet? i bought a knitting for kids video over the summer (for kids!! omg, how could i go wrong with that) and made a fool of myself. it was ugly. both my anger and what i created.

Sari said...

Darling I will teach you to knit any time you like. Just let me know if you're in town. :)

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

yay! are you a patient person? do i need to bring wine-in-a-box? it may calm your nerves when i start to irritate the dickens out of you. =)

Sari said...

Very patient. :) I don't think you have any idea how obnoxious I can be though... Wine may make the actual knitting part kind of tricky. :)

Melissa said...

Oh, wow, it's BEAUTIFUL!!! What a special gift!
High five to Jilian for making you look harder. :)

jcm said...

I like being right! That store is awesome and I'm so glad you A) found the yarn you were looking for, and B) bought the extra skein. You'll be so happy with it (spit three times), I just know it.