Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How I still ended up a whore, at my own wedding.

So when Isaac and I were planning our wedding and I was trying to figure out what I wanted my wedding dress to be I came across something similar to what's pictured below and fell in love.



Neither picture is me (obviously) and both are pulled from Google.

Gorgeous right!?! What is prettier than raw red silk for a wedding dress? I'll tell you. Nothing. I fell head over heels in love and it was all I could dream of. (This is about the time that colored wedding dresses came back in fashion) Until I called my mom all happy to tell her, I found my dress, approximately. (This was when I was still talking to her and taking her feelings into consideration)

This was also before she and I went wedding dress shopping and she found my dress without me even opening my mouth to give my opinion. (Hint: it wasn't my wedding dress).

Tangent over.

So I told my mom I wanted a red raw silk wedding dress and I literally had to hold the phone away from my ear for the shouting that she started to give me. Not to mention that I was riding the bus at the time so that made it even more embarrassing. Didn't I know red was a whore color? That red stood for adultery and all sorts of other horrible things? Um, I was thinking passion, love and romance. But thanks mom. Thanks a lot.


So because I was still wanting to get along with my mom and try and have a working relationship with her, I changed my dress idea. (If I knew then what I know now, I would have had something similar to what's pictured above) I went with a light creamy beige with really pretty apple red embroidery around the bottom and red carnelian jewelry. I also had my bridesmaid's in red because it's such a pretty happy color.

And so imagine my surprise as after my wedding one of my sisters tells me that my mom leaned over to them and said I was wearing whore colors. (I'm approximating, the whore part was said though) So that's how you still end up a whore at your own wedding. You know, just in case you're taking notes because you want the same experience. I have now given you the steps. You're welcome.

And as a P.S. this isn't even including my mom wanting to change my wedding colors to copper and gold. Because nothing else says class like trying to throw me a 70's wedding when I never asked for one.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This post makes me sad. You and Isaac should renew your vows someday and you should buy the wedding dress that you always wanted.

Even though you didn't wear your red raw silk dress, I thought you looked absolutely beautiful on your wedding day!

Sari said...

Eh, it's funny now even if it is still slightly annoying. My mother has no idea how ridiculous what she says is and she only says it to manipulate. If you pull yourself out of the manipulation scenario (which I have figured out how to do) it's rather comical to watch someone try to drag you into the reaction they want and realize they're not succeeding and getting the end result they want.