So yesterday Noop (my coworker) and I were having a discussion as to which sport the term "box your ears" comes from because I was offering to give him cauliflower ears (I know, so generous of me, right?) due to the fact that he was sleepy at work and I knew that's just what he needed to wake up. I often offer to punch him in the kidney too (this is all in good fun which he also knows, because I'm not a violent person, really). I was lobbying for boxing because boxing is in the phrase, duh. He was adamant it was wrestling. We decided on a draw because I wouldn't concede because boxing is in the phrase, duh. So then I went back to my desk and Wikipediaed it and apparently he's right, damn it.
Boxing is in the phrase. This. Makes. No. Sense. So I need someone to appoint themselves the lobbyist to get this phrase changed. I don't care how old it is (the phrase that is), it needs to make sense. And because I'm too busy with working and too lazy other times to actually commit to it. Okay, I'll correct myself whom ever this person is needs to lobby for two phrases "wrestle your ears" and "rugby your ears", because apparently it also happens in rugby, NOT IN BOXING THOUGH.
If whom ever this person is is victorious in having the phrase changed I myself will change it on Wikipedia and thus prove I am right. Long after I'm sure, when we won't work together anymore and my point is so moot because he doesn't even remember the conversation. But I however, clung on just to prove I'm right. Because I'm like that. Tenacious. :)
So go tell someone you're going to rugby their ears and see what response you get. Let me know.
2 comments:
I did. My husband didn't even flinch. I really need to work on my game. Or my delivery.
We need to hang out. I can give you pointers. It's all in the fake punches and getting juuuussssstttt close enough. :)
Post a Comment