Friday, April 15, 2011

Things I've learned

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention". - Author Unknown

For some reason this quote popped into my head today. When I was younger (yes I know I'm not old yet, lest you point it out to me) I used to think this phrase was cool and spot on. But the older I get I realize that it's not. I'm not saying that I don't get outraged (tailgating me or when we're stopped in traffic practically kiss my bumper with yours, it ain't pretty) but I've learned to mitigate my responses.

I can thank my mother for this but I'm guessing also age. I think when we're all younger we tend to jump in with our emotions and only with age do we learn to wait and see.

I know that there are terrible things in this world and things that are amazing horrible going on. But I work on making the change I can. Being outraged isn't going to get me anything but high blood pressure and possibly a stroke. Also who is it helping if I'm walking around all the time pissed off about all the bad things in the world?

I think that we need to model the type of behavior we want to see in the world because how else are we going to get there? How else are we going to pass it on?

I'm not saying that I'm not pissy sometimes or pessimistic but this is why I make jokes. To help myself turn things around. The difference I try to make is a mitigated response, a better solution because I've thought about what I'm going to say and how everyone can benefit.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Aaaannnnndddd, completely unrelated. Go check this out it is hi-larious.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/381487/april-12-2011/threat-level--rainbow

1 comment:

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

an excellent lesson for a saturday evening. or any evening. or day. or mid-afternoon.

i'm vey hotheaded. it has not served me well. as i get older and as my child gets older, i realize the value in taking it easy and keeping calm. it's a lesson that's coming slowly, but it's so valuable.