Okay well not really. I mean I've always been religious but I'm not one of the flashy sorts. It's something that is important to my life but not something I talk about a lot. I'm mentioning this because there is someone in my office currently (they're new) and they are of the "I've got Religion" sort. Not the converting sort, just the I have religion and everyone needs to know sort. It's driving me crazy. This person walks in and they talk about how they were listening to gospel music on the way to work, or they will just walk in singing it. They talk about how they go to church and it's "Lord have mercy this" and "Lord have mercy that". What seems incongruous to me is that this person smokes and apparently went on a bender last night. These things I don't really think of as being Christian. To me Christianity is about living an upstanding life. I'm not saying be perfect but have your actions reflect what you say. I might be being too harsh but it's constant every day, and even sometimes this person will break out into mini prayers. I guess it just seems theatrical and not real. I was also taught that praying was a private matter so when I do it I make sure I am alone unless it's in church. All I guess I really know is that it's driving me crazy.
As a side note I saw something on my way home when I stopped at the grocery store. I saw a very fit woman having a small latina girl that worked at the grocery store putting her groceries in her Land Rover. This irritated me. I know the reasons against it irritating me. Hey she has a job, and she's doing useful work. Also the grocery store (well all grocery stores really) offers this service. Yadda yadda yadda. I know why it irritates me. I see it as a form of oppression and possibly it's ugly cousin a form of modern day slavery. I think the last one is taking it too far. It also has to do with my complete repulsion of asking other people to help me. My only super ceding factors are if your family or a very close friend I've had for years even then it might be hard. Really the only easy person to ask is Isaac. It's also why I dislike managing people and training them. It makes me feel like "Who the hell am I Jesus Christ?" and "what makes me so special that I can walk in here and ask you to complete work that I have that needs to be done". It also makes me hyperaware that I fit into the oppressor category. White, oppressor. German, oppressor. American, oppressor. In fact the only thing I have going for me is that I'm a woman, but that's not a lot. One time I asked an African American gentleman to see his id when I was cashiering because he was paying with a check and he burst out crying. I guess I just feel like she's shoving her wealth in the girls face. Also I don't understand why do all these women who go to the gym and work themselves to be super skinny and not put their strength to use? I guess I feel it's a show of power. It makes me ashamed and not ever want to be a burden on anyone or put anyone out. I would rather just take it on myself.
P.S. I heard somewhere that any year the Steelers win the Superbowl the SMP runs 25% higher than any year that they do not. If it's true then I'm really happy the Steelers won. Otherwise I can just continue ignoring football altogether like I normally do.
No comments:
Post a Comment