Because I found some cheese this morning that made me very, very happy.
I am very picky about my cheese but definitely no connoisseur of it, in fact I think I am quite the opposite. I really only like mild cheeses. I know that whenever someone offers me a piece of cheese that has a really funky name it's probably going to taste the same. I don't like eating mold, I mean I guess I wouldn't mind if it was disguised as something else. But really look at that sentence, can you disguise mold to taste like anything else? I don't think so. I feel like I'm eating someone's basement and that's gross.
So I only like mild cheeses that have barely aged. This is kind of weird as that I don't like milk but I'm way more than willing to eat milk that has barely set up as a solidified object. Probably one of the hardest cheeses to find that I like is Manouri cheese but I can from time to time. A grilled Manouri, beet and marinated artichoke sandwich is pretty much to die for.
But one cheese that I never thought would be hard to find is Muenster cheese, but maybe because it was just so integral to my childhood. I remember grating it and putting it on top of Lavosh and melting the cheese until it was all bubbly. It's probably one of my favorite nostalgia foods.
So a few weeks ago I thought, I know I'll go to the store, get some Lavosh and Muenster cheese and have that for dinner. I was super excited. So you can imagine my disappointment when the closest I could find was Port Salut cheese which was way too soft and a little off in taste so it ended up making me more disappointed than if I hadn't found anything similar at all. I acutally bought two hunks of Port Salut in my excitement because I had convinced myself it was exactly the same with just a different name.
Please look at the pictures below. Port Salut is blobby, white and orange and Muenster is hard and can stand up in it's own. These are important differences people.
So this morning I had a desperate need to stop at the store for food for lunch this week (sorry for the many tangents). I was picking out some hummus and out of the corner of my eye I saw it, creamy yellow in the center and the crisscrossed orange on the outside. I kinda freaked out inside, and bought three.


No comments:
Post a Comment