Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ole!

So probably one of my favorite memories of playing with my brother Bryce when he was little was when we would play what we termed "Matador". (Sorry, Corey I don't know why we didn't play it with you. Maybe we did and you didn't like it. I don't think you've suffered much from all the other times we played with you though.) I have told this story to Bryce so many times that the memories that he has of it are my own.

I believe he was 4 or 5 and we had this really big living room (for some reason we would always play this in the living room even though we had a huge playroom downstairs) where we would stand him next to a wall. We would give him a cape or a small blanket that he could hold (and he was so willing to hold it every time, all grins and giggles) exactly like a Matador. Then Carrie Lindsay or I would get on all fours a little ways away from him (like a bull) and charge him. I believe we made bull sounds, but maybe not, it was a long time ago. As soon as we would charge, Bryce would drop what ever it was we gave him to hold and run away laughing. Only to immediately come back and ask us to do it again. I am mentioning this because occasionally it crosses my mind and it did last night so I thought "why not blog about it". Because you too if you have small children and are willing to play the bull can play this game. I know I will with my own children when I finally have them.

And as a side note, another game that I loved to play was when I was in high school and worked at a daycare after school was heads up 7-up. I watched 2-4 year olds and I loved every second of it. Teaching them to play heads up 7-up was quite possibly one of the funniest afternoons I've ever had. I think we kept at it for about an hour and a half (because they had the attention span for it, apparently they really wanted to learn it) and they still hadn't gotten it right by the time we ended. But in their defense they had majorly progressed to not peeking when someone touched their thumbs.

Okay so there you go. Good childhood memories and fun games to play with little ones.

3 comments:

Bryce said...

Ole! This probably explains why I like Hemingway so much.

Sari said...

Um, probably explains why I also like him so much. He is one of my favorite author's too. I really liked reading TSAR in high school.

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

wow, i haven't thought about those childhood games in a long, long time. i grew out of them because i thought i became too "mature" and "cool" for them. shows you how little i know. =P