Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Yes, Maybe, No, Maybe, Yes?

Who wants a saga? I don't, I just want a place to live. So two Thursday's ago I found the cutest place to live as evinced below. This was two days after we were asked politely (very politely and with much sorrow) to move. The one draw back is that it's in Everett. I forwarded it to Isaac and started obsessing right away while intermittently bringing myself back to reality. I know all houses that are advertised are made to look much better than they are, that's the nature of advertising. Isaac and I went to look at some places that night and then I drove up to just drive by it and see if it was as good as it was advertised. When I was on my way up one of the owners called back and I asked her if there was any way that she would be able to show it to me that night as I was driving up. She said she was able to show it to me and it was just as good as the ad. I was really excited to show Isaac and I was hoping that there wasn't someone else interested before us. We set it up for Isaac to see it on Saturday and he fell as in love with it as I did. We talked to the owners about renting it and the lease to own option. They assured us it wasn't a big deal either way. We took an application and I sent it to them on Monday. We were the first people to do so and we have great credit so it's a no-brainer right? We even slept on it and still thought it was a good idea.

This is where it starts to get funky. Last Thursday the other owner called to check up and let me know that there was someone else interested in the least to own option. He seemed to act as though at that point that we only wanted to rent so I reminded him that we were interested in the lease to own option. He also told me that I would have an answer by Saturday. I was patient enough to wait until 3:30p.m. (I know!) until I thought "what gives" and took the bait and called. I talked to the other owner and she had no idea that I was supposed to get a decision on Saturday (WHAT!?!) but she would have her husband call me back with the specifics on lease to own. Also they had just received the paperwork from the other person on Saturday and weren't able to check it out until Monday when the offices were open. Why then was he telling me we would have a decision on Saturday?!?! At this point we are being pushed into lease to own and even though we were the first ones to fill out paperwork and be prompt about it I felt as though we were being brushed off. I was really ticked at this point on Saturday and I basically wanted to pull out.

So while I'm venting to my mother in law Isaac has to "go get something from the car" and proceeds to call the husband. (Oh yeah Isaac wanted me to solely deal with this. I didn't think it was a bright idea.) He finds out that they want an outrageous amount of money down up front and other wacky stuff. Basically at that point we're back at square one. Isaac told him no way on the money (we might as well buy the house at that point and we're not in a position to do so right now because of student loans) but we could possibly pay more on the monthly rent. The guy says that at this point he's going to call a leasing agent/Realtor to find out what he should do. I run to the store to buy groceries for the week and Isaac gets a call back after the guy talked to a leasing agent/Realtor and he now has a much saner proposition. We rent it for two years at the originally advertised monthly rent and then when two years are up we get first rights. At this point we are willing to do this option. I believe that they are good people but have no idea what they are doing and so they are screwing it up horribly. We set up a meeting with them for Thursday to look over the papers they are drawing up and most likely signing them. Wish us luck.

Oh, yeah should I be worried that I saw that they are still advertising it?



2 comments:

Angela&Corey said...

The house looks fantastic and adorable.

Real estate skeezballs.

I really hope you guys win this one!

Melissa said...

What a cute place!! My fingers are crossed for you guys. Best of luck on Thursday. Let us know how it goes.