Let me just say that reading over yesterday's post I kind of feel like I sound a little conceited. If you didn't get this feeling then disregard this part. I was trying to convey how floored I was at what a good knitter people seemed to think I am as I am just learning what I can really do. I am humbled and it gives me a warm feeling inside to know that people like the knitting I am doing.
Okay with that said there are a few things that I forgot to talk about yesterday. This past weekend happened so fast I know I am forgetting to detail a lot of fun and interesting interactions that I had. There are a few that I do remember and here they are. With complete remiss I left out Morgaine. Morgaine owns Carolina Homespun which is another really fantastic yarn/fiber store as she sells all things weaving, spinning, and knitting. She is one of the sweetest, most patient and kind people you will ever meet. She helped me learn how to spin on my final night there before dinner and she was very patient with my extremely rudimentary ability to spin. I may one day pick up spinning but right now it's not going to be a focus of mine. One of Tina and Stephanie's ulterior motives of this weekend was to at least have us all learn to spin. We didn't have to become spinners but learning the ability helps in the long run with knitting. You learn how fiber works when you learn how to spin and therefore it helps you choose better yarn. I am no longer afraid of silk.
Below are pictures of the yarns I dyed.
The first one is sock yarn. This is how most of ours in my class looked. I think we were so excited to finally lay our hands on the dye that we all went crazy.
This second one is called Geisha in Blue Moon Fiber Arts lineup. I was thinking of dragonflies and I love how it turned out. I diluted the black to gray and combined green and turquoise and diluted that, it's one of my favorites that I dyed.
My third one is called Icelandic in BMFA's lineup. I was thinking of the royal blue cardigan (you're lucky you got it back) that Corey has and I wanted to replicate the color. But I thought it was a little boring so I added some purple and magenta. It's okay but I think it's going to knit up lovely.
My fourth one has no picture. I was looking to add it and it just wasn't there. I don't really like it that much. Do you think my unintentional omission of the picture is my subconscious telling me that I don't like it? I will however describe it. It is a light violet purple and black mixture. I was trying to get pastel purple (I really don't like pastels) and Tina wanted us all to choose a color or hue that we didn't like and try and work on it. Well long story short my purple wasn't pastel so I mentally got stuck and added the black. I'm sure I'll find someone who will like it.
My fifth was silk. Silk is one of the warmest, and most durable fibers out there. For some reason the picture makes the yellow look really bright but it's actually really washed out. I think the floor picked up and made it more yellow. I used green in the center and then I was unsure what to do so I added a diluted brown and undiluted yellow. I didn't really like the yellow so I pushed to brown to cover it. After I dyed this skein I didn't really like it but after they rinsed it and I got it back I'm really in love with it. I just don't think the picture does it justice. It reminds me of a lakeside.
The last one I don't really care for based on that it's novelty yarn. It's eyelash and it looks a lot like the first one. I think I was running out of steam and original ideas.






No comments:
Post a Comment